Why You Should Buy a Smart Thermostat
Thermostats are an irreplaceable part of any HVAC system. These handy control mechanisms take the guesswork out of your heating and cooling systems, allowing you to customize their activity based on your personal comfort preferences.
But if you think thermostats are still simple devices with a low range of capabilities, we have a surprise for you. Smart thermostats have changed the HVAC industry foreverâ€”these universally programmable and interactive devices let users streamline and personalize the performance of their HVAC equipment right down to the minute.
Smart thermostats furnish precise and convenient digital control over physical heating and cooling equipment, saving time and money in the process. All across the land, homeowners are singing their praises, and if you donâ€™t know anything about smart thermostats, you truly donâ€™t know what youâ€™ve been missing.
The A-B-Cs of Smart Thermostats
So what is it, exactly, that makes a smart thermostat so smart?
Thatâ€™s a great question, and the list of differences between smart and conventional thermostats is more extensive than you might think.
Hereâ€™s what youâ€™ll get with a good-quality smart thermostat:
- User-friendly digital features. If you know how to operate your smart phone, youâ€™ll have no problem understanding and managing your smart thermostat. In fact, a smart thermostat is less complex and easier to use.
- Full Wi-Fi capability. Yes, thatâ€™s right. State-of-the-art smart thermostats are remotely accessible over the Internetâ€”meaning you can program them from your mobile devices or laptop even when youâ€™re not at home. All you have to do is download the proper smart thermostat app, and youâ€™ll be ready to roll.
- Connectivity with all home comfort appliances. Furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, ventilators â€¦ you name it, and if it helps regulate your homeâ€™s interior environment, a smart thermostat can control it. Install a smart thermostat, and it will operate as the â€œbrainâ€ of your entire indoor climate management system.
- Long-term programming capabilities. With a smart thermostat, you can program your homeâ€™s temperature and relative humidity settings for tomorrow, for next week, or for every day next month. Or if youâ€™re going on vacation, you can program your system to switch on shortly before you return, so youâ€™ll return to a home thatâ€™s as cool or as toasty as you desire.
- Detailed information about energy-use patterns. You can receive as many digital updates as you like, detailing your energy consumption by the hour, day, week, or month. This will allow you to track your energy-use patterns and make adjustments that can save you money without compromising on performance. Your device will even offer customized tips to help you improve your homeâ€™s energy efficiency.
- Automatic adaptability. Believe it or not, your smart thermostat will eventually learn to adapt to your habits and make automatic adjustments in your heating and cooling settings, based on time of day, whoâ€™s home, etc. Over time, your new thermostat may come to know more about your climate preferences than you doâ€”which is why they call them smart
In addition to their outstanding performance features, smart thermostats are easy to install and sleekly designed to blend naturally into their surroundings. They can be integrated with all makes and models of furnaces, air conditioners, and heat pumps and will begin saving you money on energy consumption right from the get-go.
How much money, you ask? If you learn to use all the features of your smart thermostat, you may be able to reduce your fuel and electricity consumption by as much as 20-30 percent.
While smart thermostats are more expensive than older analog models, with these types of savings, they should pay for themselves in one or two years, tops.
Smart Thermostats for Smarter Living
Only you can decide if a smart thermostat is the right choice for you and your family.
Just know that if you do take the plunge, your control over the operation of your HVAC system will grow exponentially. On-demand fingertip programmability gives you complete autonomy over indoor temperatures in your home seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day, from wherever you are in the world.
From a cost-benefit standpoint,Â a smart thermostat is one of the smarter investments you could ever hope to make.